WELCOME TO OUR MEDITATIVE
MANDALA MAKING FOR WELL-BEING CLASS 🙂*
MANDALAS, LUMINOUS SYMBOLS
HOW IT WORKS TECHNICALLY + GADGETS
OUR PADLET CLICK HERE PASSWORD: MANDALA_ART
In order to feel safe and contained, there are a few guidelines to follow when attending the Class.
- Use everything for your upliftment and growth
- Be kind + Support yourself and others
- Take care of yourself – Feel free to use the lavatory, get a glass of water any time. We will have a short break, about half way
- Mute yourself but keep the video on so I know that you are OK
- Please make sure you have the art supplies that are necessary for you to be able attend the class fully ART SUPPLY LIST (CLICK)
PLEASE – PERSONAL SUGGESTIONS 🙂
- Ask when you don’t understand something.
- REMEMBER that we are doing the tasks together, only in different homes, so don’t read the material further than we have covered it. (Don’t spoil the fun!)
- DONT RUSH IT! it is a meditative process, allow the mandala to take shape through a process of becoming. Keep on closing your eyes, center yourself, and check inside what shape and form your mandala would like to take.
- Don’t worry about not being able to finish your MANDALA. For me it takes days to finish one. Just go with the Flow. I will keep the Padlet open so you can share your mandala when it is ready.
- STAND UP AND MOVE! -Once in a while stand up, stretch your legs, your body and move a bit. In them middle of the page – 2 VIDEOS OF MOVEMENT+BREAK
- NO ‘HAVE TO’S’ – If there is any part of the process you don’t like, just skip it. Listen to some music instead. Please remember to wait for my instruction before you move on to the next task!
- GOD/DIVINE – use the word you are most comfortable with.
- HU SOUND: “Every prophet and every saint has a way , but all lead to God. All ways are really one.” Rumi (Daylight, A Daybook of Spiritual Guidance I,3086)
Just as many traditions believe that the “OM” is the original creative sound, there are traditions that believe that this energy may be attributed to another sound—the “HU”. In the Shabd Yoga traditions, including Master Path and Eckankar and in the mystical Islamic path of Sufi, the “HU” is considered to be the highest vibratory mantra that can be sounded. Chanting the “HU” is said to lead one to transcendence—to God realization and enlightenment. Source
GAME + INSTRUCTIONS
We are going to introduce ourselves to each other by creating a montage.
- Please chose three pictures from a magazine that answers the question ‘WHAT DOES HOME MEAN TO ME?’ Don’t think too much about it. Go with the feeling. We you don’t have any magazines at home, please download three pictures from the internet using the same method.
- Arrange the pictures in a way that they make up a montage. You can organize the downloaded pictures in PAINT on your computer into a montage.
- Now, write three words (you can cut words out from the magazine). You can use the writing function of PAINT app in your computer to write the words.
- When ready, take a picture of your montage or upload it and share it on our PADLET HERE (click) under your name. (Let me know if you need any support)
- LOOK AT EACH MONTAGE under each participant’s name and write a word or short note of acknowledgement or what the montage reminds you of or what feelings in generates in you. Share it under the PICTURE in a ‘comment’ on our PADLET HERE (CLICK)
- Now, LOOK AT THE COMMENTS you have received and share if you have found something unusual or interesting about any of them.
INTRODUCTION TO MANDALA MAKING
Have you heard of MANDALAs before? What do you know about them?
MANDALA is a Sanskrit word for CIRCLE.
Why Create a Mandala?
- Because it has the regenerative and curative power to activate the latent powers of the mind. The meditative process helps to focus and open the heart to the healing power of unconditional love.
- Because it has a calming and relaxing effect on the mind and body, thus focusing arid strengthening the will to heal.
- Because it can bring joy creating a piece of art.
- Because it can make the invisible visible— expressing our inner world that may not be put into words.
- Because it can give form and expression to an intuitive insight into spiritual truth by releasing the inner light of the soul.
In this video below Dr Judith Cornell talks about her understanding of MANDALAS and introduces us to the kind of MANDALAS we are making and why in this class.
Do you have any questions?
Why do we make mandalas this way?
The sacred symbol of the mandala enables us to recover from a sense of fragmentation.
The ultimate aim of making mandalas this way (luminous symbols) is the recovery of one’s authentic Self, from the ego-personality. The recovery of this Self, synonymous with enlightenment, is the mystical experiential knowing and remembering that we are one with Divine Power/Divine Love.
We are looking to making ourselves WHOLE again, embrace and/or heal parts of ourselves that needs to be reintegrated into the whole of who we are in our ‘greatness’ or ‘wholeness’. In order to do that we must go through some kind of a transformation or recovery.
Following Dr Judith Cornell’s methodology, we create symbols of illumination as we create mandalas. This way we experience and express different aspects of our Divine Self. These mandalas are transformative and healing because they connect us with our higher self: the all-knowing, pure and divine Self that knows no fragmentation or separation.
During the class we are looking for INNER EXPERIENCES that we will express and record in the form of an ILLUMINATED MANDALA.
OUR THEME TODAY IS – EXPANDING YOUR LIGHT
It is our intention to create our mandalas from a deeper part of our being, the part is in connection and communication with the Divine, rather than from our Ego Mind. So, we centre ourselves and energize&bless the material we use for creating the Mandala ensuring that they will be aligned with our intention.
ENERGIZING HANDS + BLESSING THE MATERIALS
SCALES OF LIGHT INTRODUCTION + PRACTISE
The technique that we use for creating LUMINOUS SYMBOL MANDALAS is called SCALE OF LIGHT. This basic tool is for perceiving your consciousness as a pattern of light while working with black and white materials.
We need to learn to work with black drawing paper and white drawing pencil so we can create a sense of light emanating from the paper.
Later in the program you will create an expanding pattern of light, a drawing reflecting your unique pattern of inner light and visions.
Please follow the instructions on the video. Please feel free to watch the videos as many time as you wish.
Please create at least three different patterns of scale of lights. Please see the pictures below for reference.
When you are ready with your practise, please share a picture of it on our PADLET (pls see link and QR Code for PADLET at the top of the page)
MOVEMENT – BREAK
Before you sit down again, please do these two movement exercises.
CREATING A SACRED SPACE FOR YOUR MEDITATION
Whether you do this exercise alone or in a group, create a clean, safe, and sacred workspace so that you won’t be interrupted by intruders or the telephone. Light a candle or incense and visualize yourself surrounded and protected by Divine Light. . If you have no particular spiritual practice or belief, use the candle to represent the supreme divine light within yourself.
ENERGIZING AND BLESSING THE MATERIALS
EXPANDING YOUR LIGHT
In today’s class we will create A VIBRANT PATTERN OF ENERGY BY USING REPETITIVE SCALES OF LIGHT IMAGINATIVELY.
“Spiritual healing is to return your awareness to the inner light and to the higher power within the centre of your being.” Dr Judith Cornell
Sound and Light are primal manifestations of Divine. If you were to see your physical body at the molecular level with the aid of an electron microscope, you would see that it is a vibrational pattern of light and atomic energies undergoing constant movement and change.
Listening to and chanting the sacred sound of HU is integral to mandala healing. By chanting, visualizing, and meditating on the sound and light of HU, you will at first feel rather than see the vibration. The sound of the scared syllable of HU is a way back to the original clear light within. As we keep our focus on the HU sound, our breath, and our connection with the Divine within, the Light expands inside of us. It will set up a harmonic pattern of divine energy within our physical body and in the environment around you.
MEDITATION AND VISUALISATION
TASK: Listen to the visualization below and follow the instructions. This visualisation has three parts, pls listen to them to get the best results.
WITTEN TEXT OF THE FINAL PART OF THE VISUALISATION: Take out the sheet of paper and your white pencils that you have blessed and energized. It is easier to get a beautiful scale of light with the white pencils if they are kept sharp at all times.
Using the white pencil, place a dot in the center of the black paper. This dot is a symbol of Supreme Consciousness. It represents the sacred center, mirroring the spiritual center within you the midpoint between your eyebrows. This place between the brows is called the third or spiritual eye.
Before beginning, center yourself in a meditative state, focus on your third eye and keep your heart open and loving. If you wish play the music provided below that uplifts your consciousness to a sense of the Divine.
Start at the center of the paper, where you placed your dot, and begin drawing. First create an outline, use the scale of light tool to fill the drawing with light and energy.
Work from the center of the paper outward, like an unfolding galaxy, repeating the scale of light and changing its size and shape in response to your intuitive insights gained from the meditation, focus intently on creating a sense of illumination as you work. Think of your light spiralling outward as part of a galactic dance. You can turn the paper as you work.
Repeat the scale, change the size and direction, overlap the scales of light, and continue this meditation until you have expanded from the center point. Let your intuition guide you and be open to the flow of Divine Love through your hands, into the pencil, and onto the paper.
Each time you feel fearful or stuck, breathe gently and focus on keeping your heart open. Have the courage to explore your unique pattern and expression of spiritual light.
TASK: As you start drawing listen to this:
There is some wonderful music provided for you to entertain you while you are dawning! <3
MUSIC FOR DRAWING
You can listen to these lovely chants and songs while you are creating your MANDALA.
TASK: Please share your progress with the others by taking a photo of your drawing and sharing it on our PADLET
USE THIS LINK TO GET TO OUR PADLET (click) OR USE THE FORMAT BELOW
TASK: When you are finished, hang up the image that has emerged and look at it. Let it speak to you in the silence of your heart.*
SHARING AND CLOSING CIRCLE
TASK: I would like to ask you to write a LIMERICK poem (see examples below), putting your feelings and experiences about the class into words.
Please share YOUR POEM on our PADLET (LINK)
CLOSING CIRCLE: Please read your LIMERICK and say a few words about your experience during the class and say goody-bye to the other participants.
WHAT IS A LIMERICK?
Limerick – a five-line witty poem with a distinctive rhythm. The first, second and fifth lines, the long- er lines, rhyme. The third and fourth shorter lines rhyme. (A-A-B-B-A). JOYOUS and funny!
The limerick is a very structured 5 line poem. Originally, limericks were a bit obscene, but that has changed with the times. The first, second and fifth lines, the longer lines, rhyme. The third and fourth shorter lines rhyme. (A-A-B-B-A)
There once was a site on the Web
Which caused readers nothing but dread.
Along I came
Now nothing’s the same.
People view it and smile instead.
Sources: Most of the text above are taken from Dr Judith Cornell’s books as well as other sources. I altered them to fit the class’ structure and purpose. All meditations are copyright material to SPIRIT IN ART (TM).
This mandala blow was created by one of the participants of a previous class.